Machinist's Enterprises

Techniques, skills, powers, spells, curses, manipulations, and everything else go here. List all abilities of your character, not abilities of xir allies or equipment, and wait for approval before RPing in Houcm.
Leilani
Posts in topic: 9
Money: $315
Abilities: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37
Inventory: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=38
Allies: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=187
Guild:

Machinist's Enterprises

Post by Leilani » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:30 am

The format is as follows:
Skillset
Ability: horizontal/vertical range (magic targeting); radius (if applicable); description. I'll denote infinite ranges/radii with astericks.

Mecha Magic
Build: 3 meters/4 meters; She picks a spot, casts a pretty costly spell, and her skill is channeled into building a simple automaton or structure of limited size. She simply must cast the spell, and a jolt of magic in the form of a hot pink lightning bolt will rise from her body skyward, then fall into the designated spot, where it immediately forms said construct. It disappears after 12 hours and comes with a pre-determined amount of energy that is proportional to Lei's MAG. It's a lot of charge, much more than the spent MA, but it can only be used by that construct for its usually expensive abilities.
Construct: 2 meters/1 meter; This is a stronger Build spell. She can make three simple constructs or a more complex, better one. In either case, the spell has more than three times the cost of Build, almost her entire present mana supply, so she tends to avoid this when she can . . . The charge is three times that which is granted by Build. It is either all put into one big construct or split evenly among the three that this spell builds. The results of this spell disappear after 13 hours.
Oil: 5 meters/*; 3 meters; Coat targets in a film of sticky oil, rendering them weaker to fire attacks, unless the target is a machine. For them, this can simply be used to oil them up to relieve kinks.
Screech: self; 4 meter-long cone (extends from caster); This spell summons a screech that causes a destructive resonance with the enemy, messes with the its mind, and dispels beneficial effects, such as "Protect," for a negligibly above average cost. (power factors: HE - small, TD - tiny, MS - tiny, dispulsion - normal)
Sonic Boom: 5 meters/* (must be sky-accessible); 3 meters/1 meter; As the name implies, this sends a sonic boom from the sky onto an area for moderate damage at a moderate cost. The magical sound waves appear as a pointy, orange ring that falls from the sky. They travel quickly enough that it's a little hard to evade, but nothing like the speed of sound.
Blast Wave: self; 7 meters/20 meters (extends from caster); Everything within the spell's area is jolted by a burst of a green, non-elemental energy from below. It's fast, hard-to-dodge, somewhat strong, and has the cost to prove it (slightly above power factor).

Gunmanship (techs that are derived from fusiliers, but here applied to any of her normal attacks)
Fireshot: Simply add an attribute of fire to any attack. The power factor is unaltered.
Iceshot: Here's the ice version of Fireshot.
Boltshot: I hope that you're noticing a pattern, here.
Confushot: This adds a gas that messes with enemies' heads (tiny MS damage) on impact.
Charmshot: Remember that Love Potion trap from her inventory? It's the same effect.

Sharpshoot (techs for the Master Arm's giant bow)
Power Rend: If she uses this tech when firing any shot, that attack becomes unable to inflict damage, but in stead reduces any target's strength moderately for the remainder of the battle.
Magic Rend: This is like Power Rend, but it reduces magic power.
Toxic Shot: She uses this as long as she has plenty of materials. It has no detriments, other than the fact that its simple poison (same as the kind in Spike traps) is often subject to immunities. She simply laces the tips of her shots with a Mirror Antidote, which only takes the time that it takes for the bow to draw back, anyway.
Armor Shot: Like the Rend techs, this removes any potential that a shot would've had to deal damage, in stead giving it the ability to, if successful, destroy an opponent's armor, regardless of hardness . . . assuming that it's not simply indestructible. Armor Shot requires a 4 on a 4-sided die roll to work, as does Weapon Shot.
Weapon Shot: I just explained Armor Shot; I think that you get this . . .
Doom Archer: This one doesn't require ammo, unlike the others. In stead, Lei seems to dry fire her bow, but it generates three orbs of a non-elemental energy that fly backward, unite into one orb, then home-in on the enemy with impeccable precision to deal damage that equals half the difference between her maximum and current HE. This is the weird part, though: Half of this tech's damage (1/4th of her current HE damage) is dealt normally, to health, but the other half is split between MA and CH.

Ballistics (for the Master Arm's bow and the Ark)
Prime: Before performing any other "Ballistics" abilities, she has to prime Ark or Master Arm with a small amount of mana (about 10 MP, in FF terms) or charge. The Master Arm has a plug for the handle of the Ark to transfer some of its charge into the hand-cannon for priming, and she always has her necklace. Each device can only be primed with one charge at a time.
Cure Cannon: This magical blast is like a slightly weakened Heal with Esuna.
Protect Cannon: The target is granted the benefits of Protect, which temporarily halves physical damage, and Regen, which allows one to temporarily regain health at a fair rate for a while. Both stay for 35 seconds.
Shell Cannon: This grants Shell, which is the magical version of Protect, and Regen.
Ether Cannon: This grants mana to the target. It's about twice that which is put into Prime, which is better than nothing.
Teleport Cannon: This one isn't as useful as you'd think, since the target is simply teleported to a random spot on the battlefield.
Ether Boost: Not to be confused with Ether Cannon, this is an attack with a pink explosion that is somewhat stronger than her normal attacks. The explosion is always spherical, whether blocked or not, so it has an amazing piercethrough property. Damage is dispersed across the target evenly. The shot's composition is just the charge, so it's a free ammo attack.
Blowback: The recoil damages Lei some and can push her back a bit, but this is about twice as strong as a normal shot.

Cannonry (only for the Ark)
Prime: Not to be confused with the more energetic Prime of Ballistics, this is a simple prime of a hand-cannon for a hefty power boost.
Double-Load: This is normally a bad idea for hand-cannons, but not the Ark, which loads enchanted ammo.
Buckshot: I love this one. The Ark loads buckshot into its ammo at command to make what would be just a big shot become a big shot with a blast that covers roughly a 4-meter radius from the point of impact.
Scope: By taking a moment to ready and use the scope, Lei can drastically raise the precision of her next attack. Of her starting abilities, this is the only Cannonry one that can be used with Ether Boost. Like all Cannonry abilities, Scope has a one-time effect; the recoil of a shot is fairly low because Lei is strong enough, but it's still enough to rattle the scope out of proper alignment.
Item Shell: This is a shot in which an item, such as a potion of some sort, is encased in a harmless shell that can withstand the impact of the hand-cannon to be fired, but will easily shatter upon connecting with a target, effectively allowing Lei to transfer her items to allies long-distance in the blink of an eye.

Note that she can use the Ark to shoot herself with beneficial abilities, such as those of Ballistics, if she so desires, since she is strong enough to wield it at such an awkward angle.

Support Abilities
Arcane Defense: This reduces magical potency against her by 40%. It only works if the attack is dependent on her RES. Any manner of scanning ability will tell enemies that they can disable it simply by mentally electing to do so and spending a moderate chunk of mana.

Safeguard: This falls in with her status as a chemist. Attacks that are specifically designed to rend equipment are completely ineffective, and nothing can be stolen from her.

Throw Items: This allows her to throw items for some distance with perfect precision. It also makes such throws quite hasty, too much so for many interceptions. It effectively doubles her throwing range for disposables.

Mirror Items: Lei can mess with items to have their reverse effects, so that potions can deal damage, ethers deal damage to mana, elixers act as hyper knockout potions, and more. She can use eye drops to blind a person, an antidote to poison someone, bandages to tear skin apart, remedies to . . . well, do just about everything that's harmful . . .
"God helps those who help themselves. Mind if I help myself to some food?"

Peaceful Girl (girly side/quiet, shy side; sorta' main theme)
phpBB [media]

Rockin' Machina (work/travel)
phpBB [media]

Blazin' Battle (notably action-packed battle or notably challenging work)
phpBB [media]

Leilani
Guild:

Post by Leilani » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:41 pm

***** = AVG
Health Energy: *****
Mana: ***
Chakra: **
Physical Stamina: ********
Mental Stamina: ******** and */2
Strength: ***
Defense: ******
Magic: ** and */2
Resistance: ***
Speed: ******
Master Construct Charges (stated in inventory): ***

Learpabru
Posts in topic: 1
Money: $340
Abilities: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=99
Inventory: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=100
Guild:

Post by Learpabru » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:13 am

If no one else will approve this, I will.
"One can not help others without their acceptance."

Dye Me True
phpBB [media]

Dance to Decimation
phpBB [media]

Leilani
Guild:

Post by Leilani » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:03 am

Edited; added a couple drawbacks to Arcane Defense, explained the Hostile-Tranq traps a bit more, and just moved a couple abilities around for organization.

Leilani
Guild:

Post by Leilani » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:04 am

I finally got some cleanup and clarifications through. Damned internet connection . . . Anyway, I think that I'm done fixing this and her inventory (which is where I moved the traps to, since I revised the mechanics to be a limited item deal). Does someone want to look these over, or am I going to see more proof that I'm the only one who does any work around here? >_>

Ceodore Wolfgang
Posts in topic: 4
Abilities: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=412
Inventory: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=413
Guild:

Post by Ceodore Wolfgang » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:24 am

Ok Power Rend is good but i seems a little too cheap. I mean you didnt set any limits on it so you can effectively reduce a targets power to nothing and have them like that throughout the entire battle. If you were to have it a moderate amount of strength for the remainder of battle and it can't be spammed on the same target then that would be fair.

Magic Rend: Same deal as power rend

Armor Shot seems like you can just bend a person over and fuck their armor off with ease. It's a good idea but I don't suppose you can make it where the armor efficiency is toned down by about 45% of its total effectiveness?

Weapon Shot, same deal as Armor shot

I dont get what Doom Shot does

Lol "Double-load"

And well yeah if you can clear up this little problems i have nothing else to say on this other than excellent ideas, but who could expect less from the mighty Caleb? :3
Arrival/Departure:
phpBB [media]

Serene Talking:
phpBB [media]

His Might:
phpBB [media]

Leilani
Guild:

Post by Leilani » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:40 am

Power Rend: Over, what, the entire battle? Let me show you this numerically.
Your STR is 50 before calculating your own buffs. Each Power Rend reduces it by 2.
By the time that I've spent the ammo to reduce your STR enough to where I have a really significant advantage or even have you effectively disabled from physical attacks, especially since I can miss, you've already taken a ton of shots at me, and you've probably switched to magic. I can eventually gain an advantage, but I sacrifice a successful shot (which could be used to deal damage, poison, debilitate . . .) for each small change. In particularly short battles, this isn't even worth using at all.

For Magic Rend, invert that.

Armor/Weapon Shot: Yeah, but it only works 25% of the time, and that's only if it hits. Running those kinds of odds, you should be glad that I'm not giving you a lot more hassle. This also assumes that the targeted armor isn't indestructible, as many significant items are, so Lei will have to wait until she can reliably scan for indestructibility to even put this to any decent use.

Doom Archer: First, let's address the appearance. Lei dry fires. Where an arrow/bolt should be knocked, three violet orbs are shot out. They move outward and backward, then inward and backward to unite some distance behind her. (to illustrate this, imagine any one of a wide selection of draining animations. Replace the target with the sniper in question, and replace the drainer with the empty space that is roughly . . . 10 meters behind her. The orbs flow outward from the start point and inward into the destination.) The slightly bloated, united orb bolts downward and forward (toward the target and often underground), then sharply upward and toward the target (so that it's a bit skyward and 2/3rds of the way there), then downward and forward into the target. The erratic attack pattern makes it hard to get used to the first few times.
This image shows it in play. Keep in mind the fact that this is a grid-style battle system, so don't let the camera angle get you. The bottom character is the sniper. Pretend that she's facing directly leftward, as the screen-dependent animation would imply. The target is the Masterberry. Yes, I can tell because I've memorized the Doom Archer animation. The little bubble-pop thing on the right is where the orbs united, then darted away; whenever they dart away, they have that little spark thingy in their wake for a tick, then it disappears. That part is sorta' a cartoony animation. Notice that the purple orb is downward and almost halfway to the target. That's the first movement. The second movement puts it much closer to the top of the screen (~12 or 13 meters from the ground, give or take), but not as much forward, so it comes to about 2/3rds of the distance, maybe a bit more. The third movement is the part where the orb makes it all the way to the target, diving right into it.

I wish that someone would make a vid or .gif animation.

Now, the mechanics. The easiest way to show this is again numerically.
Lei just started the battle. She uses Doom Archer. You flinch from it a bit, but it didn't hurt; it was more of a gentle tap. She's taken no damage, so you don't either.
You two get serious. After a while, she's taken what we'll call 2,588 points of damage (after healing). She uses Doom Archer again. Look at the damage that she's taken. Cut that number in half (This doesn't heal her; the number is an external replica.), and we're looking at 1,294 points. We take half of that, 647, and deal it to your HE. We take half of that, 323.5, and deal that to your MA and your CH. The 323.5 is not split between them; it is deal to both parameters as-is.
Why: The first cut occurred because the ability doesn't completely replicate taken damage; that would be rather strong. The second was to split up the damage that it does deal, 1,294, into two groups of 647. The first group goes to HE as-is. The second group is split between MA and CH, so I just cut it again and dealt those two instances of 323.5 to those parameters.
Total damage dealt (across all parameters) = 1,294, exactly half of that which Lei has taken. It's spread out in a way that it's not terribly useful for dealing much HE damage, nor does it take down MA orr CH very much; it's a jack of all trades and master of none.

B'aww, you flatter me.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Ceodore Wolfgang
Guild:

Post by Ceodore Wolfgang » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:52 pm

OK for the Power Rend and Magic Rend, i wasnt so clear on the numbers, when you say moderate i wasnt thinking in terms of 50 - 2. That clears everything up so yeah no problems with that :)

Armor/Weapon Shot, same with the numbers, didnt know the chances for it so again thank your for clearing those up. May i suggest adding those numbers in for the people who would usually jump to a "he's gunna spamgun me" conclusion?

and no really, this will help me out with my characters like Mori and Kaito so yeah these are real good ideas :3
Arrival/Departure:
phpBB [media]

Serene Talking:
phpBB [media]

His Might:
phpBB [media]

Leilani
Guild:

Post by Leilani » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:58 pm

Yeah, reducing it by a "moderate" amount doesn't mean AVG STR - Power Rend = 0; it's more like 1/8th of that magnitude, give or take.

"Die Roll: 4 on a 4-sided die." You just overlooked it. :3

Haha, sweet.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Ceodore Wolfgang
Guild:

Post by Ceodore Wolfgang » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:59 pm

I didnt know that the die roll applied to the abilities under it, i thought it was there for shits and giggles :3
Arrival/Departure:
phpBB [media]

Serene Talking:
phpBB [media]

His Might:
phpBB [media]

Leilani
Guild:

Post by Leilani » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:33 pm

No, no, it's at the end of the Armor Shot (which means that it applies to Weapon Shot, too). It just didn't format in a way that shows it because the previous line is full. I re-wrote it so that it's painfully clear.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Ceodore Wolfgang
Guild:

Post by Ceodore Wolfgang » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:35 pm

alright so i also understand Doom shot and have no other problems with this :)
Arrival/Departure:
phpBB [media]

Serene Talking:
phpBB [media]

His Might:
phpBB [media]

Leilani
Guild:

Post by Leilani » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Sweet. I approve this, then. That just leaves the inventory.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Leilani
Guild:

Post by Leilani » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:33 am

I weakened Ether Cannon. The mana boost is worth the time when it's just double the charge, never mind triple.

Return to “Abilities”