Higher Witcher's Starter Guides

Techniques, skills, powers, spells, curses, manipulations, and everything else go here. List all abilities of your character, not abilities of xir allies or equipment, and wait for approval before RPing in Houcm.
Louise
Posts in topic: 2
Guild:

Higher Witcher's Starter Guides

Post by Louise » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:32 am

My name is Louise, I've uhm, well, with my father's help, I've undergone through a Higher Witcher trials that while it has more additional trials than a "normal", Witcher trials, I'd have higher survival and succession rate, as well as additional abilities that I could gain from. It was surely an experience that you would never wanted to keep in your head. . . Lucky for me, I couldn't remember anything after the procedure.

Few weeks after the procedure, my overall physical ability has improved drastically, I can at last, caught my father's Lightning-Speed ball throw(which is a funny moment in the comic I'll do eventually.) rather... Easily. I also tried throwing it myself and it ended up being my very own, Speed-of-Light ball throw that my father couldn't even lays his eyes on, let alone catch it. I now can see in the darkest of the night, without using any external assistance and my senses, my visual spatial abilities has significantly improved.
Athens then made a stats for me that my current average(4) is way higher than what I was used to be.
Louise's stats and parameters; Total point would be 36.
HE/Health Energy : 3
MA/Mana Energy : 5
PS/Physical Stamina : 5
MS/Mental Stamina : 4

STR/Strength : 4
DEF/Defense : 4
SPD/Speed : 3
MAG/Magic : 5
M.RES/Magic Resistance : 3

>Louise seems to have slightly more resistance towards fire and poison by 10% each, though he's 20% more susceptible towards cold.
It's really cool that Athens made that statistic for me. It felt like I'm some sort character in a video-game that my father had in his uhm, video-game player he brought before leaving the Earth. I think he called it, Pee Ci or something? I still have them in our Athens Fuigheall(Athens' Remains - Translated from Scots Gaelic), including the game though the Pee Ci isn't in a good shape for me to even turn it on.

Well, as time goes by, father taught me how to sword fights, shooting and some martial arts which I've mastered all of them... With my own style. I don't move much but when I do, I tend to overdo it, my father kept saying that my movements were redundant most of the time when practicing martial arts. I just couldn't help it... Ah! I almost forgot about the Witcher's signs. He can make fire with a few gestures from his hand. In fact, he can do five different signs, though he did told me that there was once the sixth, but it was long forgotten and no one kept records of it.

I've mastered a sign my father taught me and I called it Teine(Fire - Translated from Scots Gaelic). It's essentially the same as my father's Ignis but hey, he told me I could name my own signs so... Shrugged Eventually, I've mastered all five signs, and some additional one I personally created when my curiosity was at it's peak. Athens then made this list of my signs, and as well as my capabilities as a Higher Witcher.

Teine[Ta-en-nu]
>Louise can cast a burst of flame 3 meters away from his hand that deals 25% fire damage and cost him 10% of his original MA. It spread up to 2 meters both vertically and horizontally the further it goes and also have a one second cooldown. He can cast it with both of his hands, resulting on the increase of both fire damage by 35% and spread 2.5 meters wider but no additional range. Upon doing so will cost him 15% of his original MA. Will affect multiple enemies.
>Alternatively, Louise can shoot out fireball with a face you'd see being carved on a pumpkin in a particular holiday, out of his hand, provided he hold the fire for 2 seconds first. While this will cost him slightly more than the previous one, that is 15% of his original MA, it's incredible homing capability plus the speed made it impossible for anyone to dodge(Autohit) it. Despite the additional cost, it can only deal 10% of fire+explosion damage. Louise can't cast this with both hands and upon holding it, and the cooldown starts immediately for 3 seconds. Will affect a single enemy Louise has his fireball locked onto, but the splash damage from the explosion can cause burn.
>Teine's fire is unique, and it cannot be controlled or extinguished magically by other fire-based enemies however, it still acts like a natural fire that while it can burn things down, it can also be put off naturally, i.e with water, wet clothes, etc. He also isn't limited to only uses this on combat and un-flammable enemies (like gargoyles and golems) may not remain alight as long

Sgiath[S-ghee-a]
>Louise cast a protective barrier around his body, that cost him 15% of his original MA, mirroring 80% of his original HE and make it as a shield for a duration of 25 seconds. Defense enhancements or even his natural defense wouldn't reduce the incoming damages absorbed by the shield's health point as if it'd take them full forces. When the shield has broken or when it's been deactivated, Louise has to wait one second before it is usable. Also, each melee hits on him will causes knock-back and/or even stun their limbs for a brief seconds. Louise can also moves freely while having this shield active.
>Casting this with two hands enable him to make a hemisphere version(that is as wide as his arms, stretched out.) of the shield that surrounds his front and a little bit to his side, that shield as much as 100% of his original HE. It'll last as long as Louise keep the gesture steady, so his movement is a little limited. This shield cost him 20% of his original MA and only Louise's natural defense affects it's durability. Louise has to wait 3 seconds after it's broken, or when he deactivated it, though upon deactivating, touching his opponent with the shield would cause exploding, shattered effects that'll knock-back his opponent away.
>Both of the style of the sign, when deactivated, as long as the shield hasn't taken any damages, Louise will gained back his lost MA. He can also survive jumping off a cliff that'd normally kills him without the usage of this sign though worked only when using the first style.

Feachd[Fe-atch]
>Louise cast a force of magical energy that is unseen to the naked eyes, that spread 3 meters both vertically and horizontally with the same 3 meters ranges. This will cost him 5% of his original MA and while an enemy that twice his weight will still be thrown 4-5 meters away from him, it doesn't deal any damage except where they got knocked into, and he has to wait one and a half seconds before it can be used again. Can affect multiple enemies and while it can knock his opponents away, it also has recoil that Louise has to control or he can knocked himself away as well.
Fuar Feachd[F-war](Cold and Force - Translated from Scot Gaelic)
>Enhanced version of Feachd with an additional ability to freeze his opponents. Costing up to 20% of his original MA, this sign can freeze his multiple opponents though not frozen solid, it'll halt their movements or at least hinder them, making them sluggish and slow. Same ranges, wideness, and cooldown as a normal Feachd, but without knocking back his opponents, as well as deals no damage. If this can halt his enemy, then they'd be in a frozen state for 2 seconds before it started to melt away. Frequent uses of this sign will slow Louise's overall speed by 2% every uses.
Last edited by Louise on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"Sometimes, I woke up in the morning I'd tear up and started to feel sick like I'm about to puke out sadness. . . Or maybe I just ate too much the night before, and I really need to go to the toilet now."

"I'd play this while jumping from a dimensions to another." - Louise Avaro (2018)
phpBB [media]

Dahxnil
Lv1
Posts in topic: 1
Money: $0
Abilities: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=517
Inventory: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=516
Guild:

Post by Dahxnil » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:38 am

First, noticing your signature, I will point you to the most recent post in the BBCodes thread.

Your stats and parameters are a bit high. Doing the math simply, we can see that you have an "above" and a "below" that balance out, but that leaves you with three "slightly belows," a "noticeably above" (which is basically three slight boosts put together, so that would be fair . . .), and a "way above." To put it very briefly, you're one "way above" over.
Of course, I assume that you want to keep the same general design, so you'll probably want to split the difference between several or even all of your stats and parameters.
Oh, wait. I see later that he's weak to ice. Please state elemental weaknesses, resistances, immunities, absorptions, and whatnot along with stats and parameters, because they are directly relevant cost-covers.
Now, uh, "noticeably above average" ice damage? I . . . suppose that I can try to work with it the way that you're doing it and adjust it, but, to be honest, I'd appreciate it if you just made it numeric, such as 30% more ice damage with your current stat and parameter setup. I mean, it's totally up to you: You can phrase it with a percentage, a decimal, a fraction, words, asterisks that correspond to some stated values, or whatever, and it doesn't even have to be a damage multiplier. It can be like weaknesses in Fire Emblem, in which the attack power of the super-effective attack is increased before defenses are applied to reduce its damage, as opposed to the more common selection of a simple, end-of-calculation damage multiplier. It's really all up to you, on the matter of how to do this. Just, for convenience's sake (something that I don't normally say much about, but you have it hard enough being a n00b with a language barrier), I suggest making it a numeric damage multiplier.
Oh, right, and you have allies, right? Unless you're going to be playing them as totally separate characters, registering an account and making up the details for each of them separately, you're going to have to tone down your stats some more to fit in theirs in order to be fair.

You keep referring to "ME," but that acronym doesn't represent anything. There's mental stamina (MS) and mana (MA), but "ME" doesn't refer to anything unless you change a name, e.g. changing "mana" to "magical energy," which seemed to be what you were implying with 47, but you here seem to be referring to mental stamina.
I'm going to assume that you are, in fact, referring to mental stamina. See, the thing is that having high MS exactly means that you have more intellect, more focus, you're smarter, and so on. I think that what you're trying to say is that, though he has high MS (He's a bright dudebro.), he doesn't have explicit knowledge of Houcm. That's fine, and you don't have to write that at all. MS has nothing to do with current knowledge and memory storage. Can you imagine how silly things would get if we had to update our MS every time that we learned something? Seinvocc would be unplayable! MS is about intellect, thought speed, focus, concentration, memory retention (not what the memories are; just how good your memory is at holding information that you have observed or thought up), mental clarity, and that kind of stuff. It already has nothing to do with how little Louise knows about Houcm.

This "Immortal" support ability is an ability of the items in question, right? Then, you don't need to list it here. When you describe his earrings in his inventory (and, if the ability is also attached to items of Reina, when you describe her items in your allies thread), you'll state the ability there. For future reference, then, it can be described as such, to make it easy on ya':
"As long as {Insert character name here.} is wearing {Insert item name or short name, e.g. just "these earrings," here.} and is within {Insert area of effect here.} of {Insert other character and/or item name here.}, (s)he is immune to tissue damage."
If you just take that template and fix it up according to what you want the names to be, it'll save you some extra writing.
Oh, there is one thing, though: If you take damage outside your Immortal zone, then you enter your Immortal zone again, you don't spontaneously recover lost TD, right?
I'm just going to put it out there right now that total immunity to TD right at Lv1 seems to be excessive. Then again, if you keep the area of effect really low, it might work.

Again, these costs are given as proportions. They should either be converted to a different, non-proportional form (e.g. "For an average amount of chakra, blah blah . . . Also, yap yap for a moderate amount of mana." The bold text shows costs in relative word form. Again, "moderate" and "average" are the same.), or they should be stated as proportions to your original parameters so that their costs don't actually change as you gain Levels and stuff.

Clones: This sounds fair at first because, since you have slightly below average DEF, average RES, and slightly below average HE, clones that take double damage could easily be dealt with in three or fewer good spells, so half damage (note: would also result in half flinch and knockback, I assume) at slightly below average STR and average SPD is a pretty fair trade-off. The cost seems to be a bit low, though: Just using normal, physical attacks, you double your raw DPS (you + 50% + 50%), you vastly increase actual DPS by being able to spread and time your attacks in conjunction so that it's more difficult for foes to dodge, and you create team dynamics that you don't normally have access to. Even with the duration at just 30 seconds, this seems to be pretty cheap. Plus, you have 5% of a below average parameter, so it's not even a decent "5%" cost. Cost-magnitude issues aside, a couple of sentences throw me off:
What do you mean, they can last longer if they don't spend their energies? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the time limit? Doesn't that just mean that there really is no time limit, that they're just there until they die? What are you going for, here?
You say that they can't use spells or jutsu, but, uh, what if you learn other skills, techniques, tricks, powers, and abilities? Wouldn't that mean that they could use those? Now, if you say that they can't activate any abilities, that they can only use normal, physical attacks, that's better, but that still leaves all sorts of passive abilities. If you get one that increases physical damage a bit, one that decreases all damage intake a bit, one that increases unarmed physical damage, one that causes a chain-boost effect for combos, and one that increases SPD a tad, you've suddenly gotten a huge advantage by making clones with all those same benefits, and that doesn't even include equipment. The easy solution: Just say that the clones are made with no abilities whatsoever, and their only equipment is some basic clothing that looks like your starting outfit . . . or something like that.
Finally, you can multi-tap this, right? Like, clone-clone-clone-clone-clone, oops, I spent a quarter of my CH, but you now have ten mini-mes trying to plant their fists into your face plus the real me, so I win now. That's obviously not fair. Setting a higher cost and limiting the number of clones that may be present at any given time are both in order, I'd say.

Your illusion worlds are hard to judge. Half your original MA is a pretty hefty cost, especially since you have above average MA, but the magnitudes of these spells are . . . really something. The fact that they have battle-length durations is already off-putting.

World of Hatred's benefit to them, increased STR, comes at a very slow rate, and it's also no help to them at all. They can't hit you because they're getting to be too dumb to move unpredictably or change things on-the-fly, and their slow minds also slow their movements so that they're easier for you to hit. Plus, in order to try to hit you, unless they're using ranged attacks and you're not, they have to get close enough for you to hit them, first. All of these are losing situations for them because their DEF drops faster than their STR rises, so your otherwise mediochre physical stats become plenty enough to one-shot them when they can't even land a hit for half your health. What's more, if you're facing someone like Choh, whose physical stats are so much higher than yours that she'd be able to one-shot you while you need several hits to win, you still do because you can just deploy clones to do the dirty work. About the only way for someone to have a ghost of a chance after you've cast this is for them to be . . . Leilani with a few Constructs already bombarding you while she does the same, stays holed up in a mobile fort so that you can't reach her (until you learn a decent spell or something, anyway), and ends the battle quickly enough that her mind doesn't deteriorate to the point at which she stops standing a chance. If you can cast any spell at basically any cost that says, "Unless your opponent is exactly like this, win the battle," you're overpowered.

World of Ataraxia basically says, "Unless your opponent can win via a stall tactic, win this battle." I mean, that healing is intense. Unless I can just tank through and charge up until I unleash my ultimate death spell of destructive doom to one-shot you, you win just because you can freely damage me while I can't keep up with your healing. You can tell that I'm a fan of setting up, then overwhelming, because several of my characters are actually capable of doing this, though some need appropriate circumstances. Then, though, you cast World of Hatred, and they're doomed.

Either one of these spells is absurd, but having access to both is ridiculous. Your strategy to win every time would seriously just be, "Recharge mana between battles. Enter battle. World spell. Add clones if World of Hatred. Add other spell if things get a little risky. End battle. Recharge mana between battles . . ."
Clearly, they're not okay.

No prob. Is it a smart phone? You should use the built-in task manager to close apps that you don't need to be running at the moment, then download the Malwarebytes and Avast Free Antivirus apps to check for problems.
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Louise
Posts in topic: 2
Guild:

Post by Louise » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Yosh!

Hmm.. Too high.. Okay! Edited!
Oh, can I make that.. umm.. His MS sure are Average but his 'in battle focus' is as good as Way Above Average? I mean, well, he's a person from another world that really know how to fight but not really a Very intelligent person. I.. ah.. I've no idea how to describe this.
Okay, I've stated his weakness in numeral.
Oh, I'll play as three character then. :D But what should I do in Louise's Allies topic?
Sorry for that typo. xD Yes, I meant MS.
Oh, thanks! :D Yup, he will not recover spontaneously just by enter the zone back. Hmm.. What about 20 meters(the immortal area)? is it too much?

Okay, I gave the clones max spawn, and they can only use physical attack with basic weapon and outfit that looks like the original. And I've increased the cost too.
Hmm.. Okay, I removed World of Ataraxia and I've modified the World of Hatred.
Alright!! Thanks! But, its really hard for me to write all these in smart phone. Anyway, here it is, the computerized one! lol :D
"Sometimes, I woke up in the morning I'd tear up and started to feel sick like I'm about to puke out sadness. . . Or maybe I just ate too much the night before, and I really need to go to the toilet now."

"I'd play this while jumping from a dimensions to another." - Louise Avaro (2018)
phpBB [media]

Dycedarg
Lv1
Posts in topic: 1
Abilities: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=314
Inventory: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=313
Guild:

Post by Dycedarg » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:24 am

First, the immunity to CH damage is not going to fly. If you have some ability that gives you, say, between 5 and 30% resistance to chakra reductions (excluding your abilities' costs), that's okay, but total immunity to non-cost CH reductions is a bit much to start out with. Sure, damage to mana and chakra are far less common than damage to HE or TD, but total immunity right out of the box is out of the question.

Okay, your stats and parameters appear to even out, which is good, but your elemental issues throw things off again. I'm assuming that "all" elements refers to the typical, eight-part system of fire, ice, lightning, earth, water, wind, light, and dark, in which case you have six 5% vulnerabilities, one 70% problem, and one at -200% (Immunity would be -100%. If it's full absorption, that's -200%.), which brings you to -100%. That's the same as having fair stats and parameters, then adding one immunity for free. Sure, that doesn't sound so significant, because you can pick up all sorts of equipment that can give you elemental resistances, immunities, and absorptions very easily (I mean, sheesh, you can grab a good shield or ring that absorbs fire for less than a hundred bucks at half the shops.), but that's equipment, which means that it can be damaged, destroyed, stolen, or otherwise lost, and you may just forgo equipping it because you have something to use that's better in other ways. It's different when it's a part of the character's defaults.
Anyway, to make the math come out right, you can reduce your elemental resistances further and/or adjust your stats and parameters to make room.

MS is calculated as the mean, or average, of all relevant factors. Add up his capabilities to focus, to retain focus under differing circumstances, to calculate, to reason, to plan, to know intuitively, to coordinate, to memorize, to retain memory over long periods, and other such measures of intelligence, and divide the result by the number of calculated terms, in a similar manner to the methods that are presently employed in real-world "intelligence quotient" (IQ) tests. Obviously, I don't expect you to find or make up an IQ test and take it as your character would if he were real. I expect you to fake the math. Rather than actually calculating such values into some standardized form that is presumptuous, limited, and more subjective than many people will admit, just relatively estimate how smart your character is in each area and give me the relative value that expresses what it all evens out to.
If your character has a very noteworthy difference in separate areas of intellect (e.g. able to focus, coordinate, and calculate very well, but not very bright at memorizing, long-term remembering, or reasoning; compare idiot savant as a generic term for individuals who exhibit minds similarly to savant syndrome, then compare actual savant syndrome and the more generic term to a more well-rounded genius, a well-rounded, normal individual, and a well-rounded dumbass), you may distinguish this in his bio, but only the overall composition of his mental state is considered when comparing stats and parameters.

As for the allies, I'm not sure how you intend to do this, so, before we mess with stat and parameter calculations any more, let's lay it all out.
Are Louise, Rudolf, and their girl friend going to all be controlled by this one account?
No. > If two are, but not the other, you make another account for the other character. Then, adjust Louise's stats and parameters down to allow for the character that will be on this account, which you will make in Louise's Allies thread.
Yes. > Are they meant to each be 1/3rd of a char, is Louise the main part with the other two being weaker subsidiaries to him, or is it something in between, such as Louise and Rudolf being two equal parts of the char and the girl being a weaker part that is just enough to bring the total to a full char, or what?
> Yeah, Louise is the main dudebro, and the other dudebros are just the dudebro's dudebros. > Okay, then you make the other dudebros in Louise's Allies thread, tone Louise down so that it's fair for them to all be running together, and it's done.
> They're three halves of a whole idiot! > Three ha- You know, I'm not even gonna' go there. Well, you could pick one of them (like Louise) to use as the representative for the three, put the other two in his Allies, but state that their stats and parameters are expressed in the same manner as a full char, not on the ally scale, and have them all be toned down enough that they're each half- Damnit! Now, you've got me doing it. -a third of a char. The alternative is the "team" option, in which you have a single thread for all three bios, a single thread for all three ability lists, and a single thread for all three inventories.
> Two of them are equal parts of the char, and the third is just an ally. > Odd, but okay. You can either go with the team setup and just have the third one toned way down so that they all still total to one full char, or you can have a team of the better two with the weakling in their Allies thread.
> Naw, man. It's some freaky shit like, uh, Louise is 40%, Rudolf is 32%, and the chick is 28% of the char, in terms of their stats, parameters, and stuff. > Uh . . . Damn. Well, okay . . . I guess that the team option would probably fit best, or else you'd just pick the biggest of the three (in this case, Louise) as the representative of them and throw the other two into an Allies thread. Weirdo.

20 meters is a bit much. If you're getting total immunity to TD right out of the proverbial box, it's got to at least be situational to the extent of two chars being within, like, I dunno', 3 meters of one another. That way, if someone relies heavily on TD, they at least have the option of knocking the two of you far enough apart that xe can land a good hit or two before you go all invincibru and shit.

The clones sound much better. Now, they spawn without weapons, right? They'll be using unarmed attacks at halved power? That sounds fair. If you add weapons to them, well, we'll have to see what kind of weaps you add, then we may need more edits.

World of Hatred: Better. It needs some rephrasing, but it's better.
I've said quite a few times that "per battle" limits don't usually make much sense, but it's okay for a spell/jutsu/whatever to just magically "know" when you are and aren't in battle, when you have or haven't yet used it in this battle, and stuff like that simply built into the ability, once in a while. What explanation are you applying here? Given its design, you may actually consider changing it to a more simplistic time limit, such as, uh, once per twelve hours or something.
This works until you're KOd, huh? What if you're not? If you win the battle, is the effect going to keep adding up on the target while xe is unconscious until xe's a mindless, powerful threat that someone will have to beat down to stop from causing serious damage, in which case the effect will still continue until you just happen to get KOd by something? If the target becomes so addled while unconscious that xe becomes unable to tell a friend what happened so that the friend can seek you out and beat you down, what happens? What if the battle ends elsewise, like it's interrupted or has a non-KO win condition? Do these situations lead up to a character being entirely ruined by brainlessness until you happen to be defeated? You say that the effect can't be removed by anyone but Louise, but I don't see any purifications or dispulsions in this list, so is the capability to cancel it just built into the jutsu, or is it only removed by your unconsciousness?
Now, I'm going to direct you to the 11th post of Clarification, by Tixxi, which describes the assumed properties of purifications and dispulsions. Note that this information will be moved elsewhere, pending the completion of another thread that I've been planning. Anyway, just how much is this jutsu unable to be dispelled? Noah can't just cast Harmony or Dispel, Choh and Dycedarg can't just use their versions of Crackdown, and other basic dispulsions won't work? Sure, fine. What if Crevasseus and Noah both learn Twincast, are each Lv3, and twincast up some "Expulsion by Eruption," dealing some fire/earth damage with an amazing KB factor and very high dispulsion effect? Is this jutsu going to react by saying, "Ah, well, fuck. I guess that I'm getting dispelled, now. Serious shit, that. Laterz," or is it going to be all, "lolnope," because Noah and Crevasseus are not Louise? Plus, this can be considered as a negative or neutral effect, in a way, so are we putting the same limits on purifications as dispulsions, will one removal method work better than another, or, uh, just what are we talking about, here? Give me an idea of just how hard this is to remove.
Redesign idea: You want to have this only active against one enemy at a time, right? Well, you could have cooldown and duration periods that are the same (If you can only cast it once every twelve hours and it works for twelve hours at a time, it only works on one enemy at a time, right? Well, by default, yes . . .), or you could just have a duration and a statement that it can't be cast as long as it is still operative on someone else. There are upshots and downsides to each.
> If it simply can't be cast as long as it's already active and you have the ability to cancel it whenever you want, that pretty much solves the issue of super-addling while still allowing that ridiculous "until user is KOd" duration because, practically speaking, you are not going to semi-permanently disable one of your spells just to make sure that one enemy has xir mind semi-permanently screwed over.
> If it has a temporal duration and cooldown of the same length, it again solves things by just working on one enemy and working temporarily regardless of battle outcome, but allows for further complications, which can be good or bad. If the opponent has Spellbound (the status or passive ability from FFTA2:GotR), the duration is multiplied by 1.5 on that opponent, meaning that you could potentially cast it on someone else while the first foe is still suffering. The same applies to anything else that is done to expand durations, and the cooldown length can also be reduced by other abilities and stuff. All sorts of time-meddling likewise can be used for or against this: If you're slowed, the opponent will break free before your cooldown is over. If you're hastened, you get through your cooldown while an opponent is still screwed. If the opponent is hastened or slowed, invert that, but also influence the effectiveness of the jutsu accordingly because it's a detriment over time (Duh, right?). Maybe you and a buddy just had a friendly spar, so he can tie himself and hasten himself to hurry up and get the confusion, madness, and derpiness over with without being harmful, but, then, if you have "or until user is KOd" as an alternative length and you were really his droogie, you'd let him just smack you down to end it immediately.
Either redesign has merits. The current design can work, but needs some clarifications and possible cost adjustments.

Cloaking: Okay, spend a little CH to become invisible for seventy seconds. No biggie. Give me some details, though: We're just talking about naked sight visibility, right, or is there more to this? What do you mean about movement hindering this? Is it a camouflage effect that has to adapt to surroundings on the fly, does the magic assign itself to your location and have to perpetually update with you moving (which could result in a flickering, wispy, or faded effect, or perhaps a combination, as you move), or what?

Mindbreak: Okay, cool. It depletes a target's MS by 10% of their maximum for 10 seconds at a cost of 10% of your original MA. Simple enough. What's the animation? Like, do you just land a physical blow with this effect in stead of damage, do you shoot something, do you cast some sort of aura at my position, or what?

By the way, illusion jutsu ("Jutsu" literally means "technique" in Japanese, but it often refers to ninja techniques that spend chakra for effects, making them much like spells that cost mana.) is called "genjutsu," so you could entitle your skillset as that, if you want to make it sound cooler.

CH Damage: You deal some damage to CH with every unarmed, phy attack? Sweet! Give me an idea of the power factor, though. Since this is a free, passive ability (Remember what I said about clones with abilities? This is exactly what had me worried. It's good that you fixed that.), I'm thinking that making it like this is appropriate, but you tell me what you had in mind:
"Unarmed, physical attacks from Louise have 10% of their power copied to deal chakra damage, too. The normal damage to HE and TD is unchanged, but the foe takes a much smaller hit to CH, as well."

Reverse Flame: I'm not sure how to feel about this.
Well, for one, I should state that "exclusive" fires (You know what I'm referring to with that, right?) will be unaffected by this.
Now, isn't this superfluous with your ability to absorb fire? Then again, if someone shoots a stream of fire at you without scanning to learn your weaknesses, you could control it to shoot back at them, and they could say, "Aha! Look at how much he didn't want to get hit by that: He had to control it to come back! He probably has a weakness to fire. I should take five seconds to charge up my Immolation Striker 4,000 shot, then really stick it to him because there's no way that he can control my ball to come back at me," so they waste a bunch of time, then shoot an attack that just heals you, much to their dismay . . . Humorous though that may be, isn't it still an odd niche ability? I mean, hey, if that's what you're trying for, that's fine, I guess.
That brings me to the next question: You say that this works on "any" fire magic, but how literally am I supposed to take this? If I pick up a massive volcano and pour it onto you like a teapot, are you going to be able to just look at it and watch the entire lava flow fly through the sky to land on me? If I target your area to have flames spontaneously conjure, with the central point being the core of your body, can you just know about this as I'm about to cast it, then redirect it to be cast on the area right next to me so that my ally and I get hit? Just how does this ability work?
Is this for free, regardless of how much you get to manipulate and for how long? If I shoot a huge fireball at you, can you just repurpose it as a flying flame-shield to block all my other projectiles . . . for free?

Heavy Punch: 2/4 is the same as 1/2. You don't state a charge length, so are you just saying that you have to pay the cost as you perform it, then also take recoil damage? That's 4% CH, 10% HE, and 5% TD (How does that work? Are you sacrificing bodily fluids or something?) just for a 1/5 boost to damage and a 1/2 boost to KB on a punch. That seems to be awfully overcosted.

Fireball is just too weak. You get a bigger area as it travels, but at the cost of its power? Fine. You start with low power, though, its range is pretty insignificant, its ATKSPD is nothing special (I recommend either refraining from stating the ATKSPD, in which case it's assumed to be average, or just expressing it as a relative term. When you express it as a numeric value of distance per time, you pretty strictly limit yourself, and you've also shown that you tend to either go too fast or too slow when you do that.), and its cost is only fitting if you're shooting at point-blank range so that you get the full power. This spell is what one would expect from a generic mage monster, and then you give it a cooldown, anyway.

Fire Cloak is also almost useless. You may stop some baknamy that have a sense of self-preservation, and, well, some goblins are retarded enough to kill themselves while still hurting you, but many characters will not give one rat's ass about the fire and will happily tank through to smack you down while you're unable to retaliate at all. Yeah, you'll deter Choh, until she gets flame-absorbing armor . . . from melee attacks, so she'll just hit hard from afar. Noah is able to literally walk up to you and choke you while you do this; you'd be handing him the battle on a silver platter. In fact, just about any ranged units will be gleeful to see you use this, because it's a free attacking period. Even if you can out-heal everything that they throw at you during this time, you're spending lots of mana/chakra to do so, so we're quickly depleting your resources without worrying about our own health.

Mini-Suicider: That's actually pretty cool, and I love the classic FFT Bomb art. It's pretty cool, and it's pretty useless. All that mana for two hand grenades in fire damage? It's magical, fire damage, right? Okay, so Choh would be irked if she managed to let herself get hit, but that's about it. It's a cute, but overpriced way to deal with some generic enemies that are weak to fire, I guess.

Ice Shard: Okay, this started to look fine, but machine gun-like rapid fire sets this over the top. You can just unload 12 into another char's face at a rather intense speed, and, on average, you'd have a free KO for 60% of your MA. Okay, yeah, any half-serious character should have put up some sort of protection or something, but that doesn't excuse the fact that this means free KOs against plenty of chars and still cheap damage against others.

Ice Creation is fine. I mean, I assume that the resultant weapons/ammo have average power factors and deal ice-elemental damage, so you don't need to state that, and it's not like you can turn a great profit from this because you could either lie to people and say that they won't melt, in which case people will discover your fraud and make you face consequences, or they just won't buy them because only an idiot would buy a melting weapon that doesn't have anything special to it.

Thunder Step: No. Absolutely not. Thunder is just the resultant sound of lightning, so it travels at the speed of sound, which is 761.207051 mph at sea level. Half of that is still unfairly fast. Worse yet, if you meant to go at half the speed of lightning, that's around 224,000 mph for the "typical" bolt, depending on conditions, so 112,000 mph for you. That kind of speed is also regarded as "OMGLOLWTGDAIRYQUEEN," so it's not a thing unless you're cool with your legs literally ripping themselves off your pelvic region.

Electric Shock: When an ability is described this way, I can't approve it because it's really unclear. I mean, feel free to keep the humorous quip in there, and you can state utility uses for it, if you want, but, you know, I need to know how strongly you're shocking stuff. Rather than keeping to the format that you've currently established, I would put it this way:
"Louise can channel lightning from his hands for electric, magical damage at a slightly reduced cost over time."
You don't need to say the size of something that he can shock, you don't need a numeric value for the cost per second, and you don't need to say anything else that's obvious unless you want to. I have a power factor (assumed as "average" because it's not stated) and a cost (slightly reduced because it works by hand contact only, no capacity to shoot, not even capacity to channel from the rest of the body, nor anything else), I have the stat calculations (magical damage = MAG versus RES unless otherwise stated), I have the elemental affinity (Gee, I wonder.), and I know the secondary effects (none, unless you count sporadic disruption of the nervous system, which is hindered by the target's RES), so I have all the basics for an ability in one sentence.

Earth Wall: Um . . . It's not fair for this wall to just be randomly immune to any bullets and any throws, and its durability is . . . questionable, so how about I rephrase it according to what it looks like you were going for, minus the, er, extras?
"With a sudden movement of contact with the ground, such as a stomp, pound, or poke, Louise can form some of the ground within [X range] into a 2x2x0.3-meter wall with boosted durability."
You still have the same ability, but the dimensions of the wall are more clearly expressed in width by height by depth, the "durability" refers to its defenses against physical and magical attacks, and "boosted" ("upgraded," "raised," "heightened," or whatever else you want to put for it) simply puts that at "above average compared to what it was before I formed it into a wall." The only thing that you're missing is a limiter on the range. That being said, even though this is a pretty good defense move that works immediately, I think that it's a bit overcosted. The thing about defensive abilities is that, on their own, they can only make you lose more slowly, not make you win, so they tend to come at pretty good cost efficiency to make up for it. Give it a reasonable range, and you can drop the mana cost a bit.

Earth Armor: I'm not going to say much about this because I'll have to recalculate, anyway. This needs revisions for a few reasons:
  • Immunity to thrown weapons is silly. It's really hard to make sense of that. It's even harder to make a distinction between a "small weapon throw," a stone's throw, a large weapon throw, or other physical projectiles, in addition to the initial confusion of separating one kind of physical attack from the rest like that. I mean, if you really want to hit just that type of attack for some strange reason, you can because it's magic, but you have to put the effort into getting specific with it.
  • "Any below average physical attacks" is very ambiguous. If I have "below average" STR, does that mean that none of my standard, phy attacks work on you at all? If I boost my STR or use a special attack that hits harder, that will work, though, right? Likewise, if I have "average" STR, but I use an attack that doesn't hit as hard (so, plenty of abilities plus every quick kick or jab, only my more "full power" attacks being allowed through), they don't work on you? We have to calculate whether something is enough to damage you for every boost when we're starting at an even lower STR, right? If we're at a higher Level than you, our "below average" is a lot higher than yours, so I assume that attacks from higher-Level opponents won't have an issue unless their original STR is particularly low . . . Where do we draw the line?
  • Going on the previous point, this should be more of a stat adjustment deal. It boosts your DEF? Great. RES, too? Cool. Messes with your elemental resistances by + this, - that, whatever? Sure. Has a drawback, like slowing you down? Savvy. When it just takes certain attacks and says "no," though, that's more in the line of some kind of ethereal armor of hocus pocus haberdashery for some niche damage denial, not much of an earthen armor thing. If it's a stat adjustment thing, it's easy to figure out in all circumstances. The whole "protects against this" deal that you have going leaves a lot of ambiguity. If our attacks are not small weapon throws and are not physical attacks of below average strength, does the armor do nothing against them? That's what I have to assume, when you phrase it the way that you did.
I don't mind if someone breaks themes here and there (I love fires that heal, wind that binds, and such like that.), and I'm not telling you how to design your char, but I'm saying that an armor mod spell makes a lot more sense when it adjusts stats and possibly some other stuff, whereas your description just causes us to play a lot of guesswork as to what it allows, what it denies, and what happens when it allows or denies something.

Air Cutter: Does this count like two attacks, one being the high-pressure wind and the next being the chopping hand, or does the air just boost the chop? Is the chop stronger as a result, or is it just wind-elemental? What's going on, with this?

Breathless Air: Since different bodies rely on respiration to different degrees, I'd take out the amount and just say that you deprive an area around a target's respiratory orifices of most of the air, resulting in hindered respiration, which should hinder their PS.

Heal: I guess that it's fine, but I don't see why you want it to occur over 3 seconds. Many healing spells just work instantaneously.

Stone Armor (Really? Earth Armor and Stone Armor, but Stone Armor doesn't even have anything to do with stones?): Erm, no. Immunity to flinch factors is not okay. Protection against all attacks that have any flinch factor at all (in other words, you're invincible to almost every attack in existence) is extremely not okay. The physical damage reduction is irrelevant because there are almost no physical attacks at all that this doesn't give total protection against, unless you only meant that it was protection against the flinch factors, not entirely to the attacks that cause them, in which case it's still unfair because it's immunity to flinch factors. There's not much for me to work with, here.

Hah, yeah, smart phones are dumb. You should still consider doing as I said so that yours works better than it currently does, but working from your comp is obviously preferable.
"I am the Almagest, and I am the Divine Conqueror! Only I am fit to rule!"

Why I Do Things

Rising to Vainglory

Return to “Abilities”