Thread Reminders

K
Posts in topic: 2
Guild:

Thread Reminders

Post by K » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:25 am

Okay, everyone has forgotten a topic, before . . . Okay, well, I haven't yet, since I thought that someone else was going to take it, but I'm sure that I'll forget one eventually . . . Anywho, threads are sometimes forgotten. It happens. It's usually not intentional (thus "forgotten", not "ignored, then forgotten"), and people are sorry for it, but it still happens, especially with those of us who have about as much mem- What was I talking about? Who are you? Get out of my house! Wait, this isn't my house . . . or is it? Wait, who am I? o.O

. . . Ahem. Now, one way to avoid this is to frequently check the "view new posts" and "view your posts" lists, but people still overlook things, forget stuff, forget to run those search links, yada yada . . . So, what do you do when someone forgets a thread? Well, the first step is to bump it. Bump? What the duck is that? Well, here's a forgotten thread:
your post
his post
her post
your post
his post
her post
your post

Now, it's "his" turn, right? "He" has forgotten about it, though. "She" may still be around, but "she" is respecting posting order and waiting for "him." What do you do? Well, you've already waited a few days, a week, or however long "he" usually takes, and "he" has not posted, so you make another post. Your new post doesn't actually involve any RPing; it's an out-of-character statement to bump the topic, such as in the following examples:

((Bump.))
((BUMP))
((bump))
((re-bump))
((Please bump.))
((@K: BUMP))
((@K: bump))
((@K: Bump again.))
((bumpitty-bump-bump~)
OOC: Bump.
OOC: Bump, please.
OOC: Bump for K.
OOC: BUMP

Anything like those will do; there's no specific way to bump, other than the fact that it's out-of-character.

Now, why bump a topic? Doing so acts as a refresher for the thread. If "he" ever clicks "view new posts" or "view my posts", since the lists go from most recent to least, by default, that thread will be near the top of the lists. "He" will then see it, so "he" will click onto it and continue.

Okay, so you now understand bumps completely. So, what do you do if you bump a topic and the next person still doesn't respond? Before you bumped, you checked the Vacation Thread, and "he" didn't post there to say that he'd be gone, so it's not like you know that you're just putting a bunch of bumps for someone that isn't even there, someone who will come back to see a bunch of unnecessary bumps. Well, give it some more time, maybe a few more days or something, and give the topic a second bump. If there's still nothing after a few days or so, you have a couple options: You can go for yet another bump, or you can post a reminder here. People should check this thread frequently; it should be something that everyone does at least once per week, month, or however long, depending on how active they are. Wait, what do I mean, "post a reminder here?" Well, it's very simple. You simply start a post with the name(s) of accounts that have neglected threads that involve you. You give a link to the respective thread(s). Optionally, you can state the title of the neglected thread(s). The end! The person should see it the next time that they read this thread, and that person should go reply!

K
Posts in topic: 2
Guild:

Post by K » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:38 am

EXAMPLE (not actual reminders; these are merely for the sake of exemplification):

K:
Vacation Thread
Suspicious Company: http://seinvocc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=43&start=165

Sarathinia:
continued from: Chronicles of the Prophecy .::Part 1::.
"hi, how are you?"

Days of Harsdship: http://seinvocc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=34 (Emma Cain)

Nikita Shimono: http://seinvocc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&p=793#p793 "Hack & Slash?"

What kind of link you use is optional.
Whether or not you put quotes around thread titles is optional.
Any other formatting questions have the following answer: OPTIONAL!

Also, please note that Spam and other out-of-character topics should not usually have reminders, here. If you want to bump them, that's your business, but those topics usually die about as soon as they are written, and they aren't exactly high-priority topics. Not posting in one doesn't hinder anyone from RPing or anything; it just drops you out. Therefore, it's not necessary for people to remind you about it, or at least not past a bump or two.
Resolute Myth
phpBB [media]

Grey Ultima
phpBB [media]

Return to “Announcements”