BBCodes

Hey, you! Yeah, you! Look over here! Over . . . here! Yeah, there we go! See this? Yeah, you see this? READ ME! =D
Forum rules
Recommended Order: How to Use/Play, Terminology, Site Properties, most other "sticky" threads, Clarification, all other threads.
K
Posts in topic: 2
Guild:

BBCodes

Post by K » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:23 pm

Not familiar with BBCodes, eh? That's fine. It's a simple concept, and, once you've heard it, you'll be using them for everything, because they're really easy.

When you start a code, which is sectioned off in [brackets], you're usually telling your post, "From here on, turn the text that I type into [this] kind of text." The first part of the code, the part in brackets, is called an opening tag. After you write the coded text, you make a closing tag, which goes in [/brackets with a forward-slash at the front]. When you make a closing tag, you're saying, "Stop using [/this] code." Pretty simple, right? Let's see some examples.

Code: Select all

[b]text[/b]
=
text

[i]text[/i]
=
text

[u]text[/u]
=
text

[size=150]text[/size]
=
text
(The 150 can be replaced with almost any number. When you're in the full editor, the "Font size:" drop box has a list of pre-set sizes, but you can use different numbers for different sizes. Please don't get too carried away and make text too huge, though, and please make it able to be read.)

[bgcolor=#80BF00]text[/bgcolor]
=
text
(You can augment the background color of a block of text or a bordered area with any color, and you can mouse over the color swatch on the right side of the Full Editor to see the hexidecimal names for each color.)

[color=#FF8040]text[/color]
=
text
(This is the same as the background color code, but for the color of the text. Simply selecting the desired text and hitting the desired color on the color swatch makes it especially easy.)

[font=MV Boli]text[/font]
=
text
(This is used for all sorts of other fonts.)

[s]text[/s]
=
text

text[sub]text[/sub]text
=
texttexttext
(I threw in the text on the sides so that you can clearly see the difference.)

text[sup]text[/sup]text
=
texttexttext

[list][*]text
[*]text
[*]text[/list]
=
  • text
  • text
  • text
(Whether using an ordered list or unordered list, like this one, you use asterisks with brackets around them ([*]) to designate another list element, thus entering another bullet/number/letter.)

[list=1][*]text
[*]text
[*]text[/list]
=
  1. text
  2. text
  3. text
(This is a numerically ordered list. You can make an alphabetically ordered list (i.e. replace the 1, 2, and 3 with a, b, and c) by changing the "1" to an "a".)

[url=http://seinvocc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=401]Go here for a tutorial on other codes, especially images and quotes, and the buttons on the lower-right corner of every post.[/url]
=
Go here for a tutorial on other codes, especially images and quotes, and the buttons on the lower-right corner of every post.

EDIT: Got some more!

[bible]Book Chapter,Verse-Verses[/bible]
= John 3,16-17

[legend=Title]text[/legend]
=
Titletext
Oh, and I forgot some.

[spoiler]text[spoiler]
=
text

[tspoiler=Title]text[/tspoiler]
=
Title | +
text
Follow? Now, there's one more thing that makes BBCodes even easier. When you're in the Full Editor, you can simply press the respective button to put the opening tag and closing tag into your post for you, right? Right. You put your insertion point wherever you want the code, click the button, and the code goes in. Your insertion point is placed in the middle of the code, allowing you to simply type the coded text and move on. The best part about it is that it works for selected text, too. You can select through the desired text to be modified, click the button, and the code is inserted around that text. The downside is that this will oftentimes delete line breaks that you may have afterward, but that's not hard to work with. However, remember that doing this doesn't work for all codes. If the opening code requires an additional element, like that URL code that I showed, it won't put the extra element in. When you set an ordered list, it'll give you the "list=", but you'll have to set the "a" or "1". Well, you get it. Pretty easy, right?

Oh, I didn't mention the Flash code because I've never had a use for it, don't have a Flash URL to use, and don't see it put to use often. As a matter of fact, I've only seen it in signatures, and the only example that I had on Seinvocc was on an account that got deleted. If you mouse over it in the Full Editor, though, it shows you how to use it, just like with the other codes.
Resolute Myth
phpBB [media]

Grey Ultima
phpBB [media]

K
Posts in topic: 2
Guild:

Post by K » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:10 am

Important: We all knew that Youtube changes would be annoying to the codes. I had an in-depth problem-solution analysis written out, but I found a simple solution that should deal with all of the issues.

I am changing the Youtube and Youtubeaudio codes!
From now on, only put the video ID in between the tags!
In an http(s)://youtube.com/watch?v=blahblahbla address, the video ID is the blahblahbla up until there's an ampersand (&). If there's an ampersand, that is Youtube's way of keeping track of what features are used to access its videos so that it knows what features to keep supporting. The point is that the video ID is always the 11 digits between "v=" and the end of the URL or, if there is one, the ampersand.
In an http(s)://youtube.com/v/blahblahbla address, you are in a tab that is just the video, without anything peripheral. Again, the 11-digit "blahblahbla", which, again, should either end the URL or go into an ampersand, is the video ID.
If you have an http(s)://youtu.be/blahblahbla address, you can either click it, which redirects to a tab of "http://youtube.com/watch?v=blahblahbla&feature=youtu.be" (See how that works? The ampersand is to track what features are being interacted with.), in which case you know what to do because of the last two paragraphs, or you could just copy the "blahblahbla" directly from the youtu.be link because, again, that is the vid ID.

[youtubeaudio]CyWCpFFovw0[/youtubeaudio]
becomes

[youtube]OGLvxK-sb4k[/youtube]
becomes

Yes, I will be going through the whole site and fixing every Youtube embed to this manually. Yes, it is going to take a good while. I am a bit short on time, but I'll handle it, including all the signatures. Though, if you get online and your sig hasn't been fixed, yet, feel free to change it on your own; it's just that much less that I have to do.
:herocool:

Return to “Site-Wide Rules/Guides (Please Read!)”